General Resources For Leading In a Social Age
Context for the main ideas
Kristie's blog series the SEL of adult learners [blog]
• Essence Glossary™ Pack [link]
• Essence Glossary™ Website [website]
Julian Stodd's work on social leadership [blog]
Resonate Leadership [link]
How to Live a Good Life, by Jonathan Fields
KPF's key PPT slides [pdf]
• Mindful Inquires Ask Yourself 1.1 Full version [pdf]
• Inclusion Inquires [pdf]
• Soulful Inquires [pdf]
• How to Hold On with “Pushed Down” Policies [blog]
• Is Your Ethical Intelligence High Enough? [blog]
• The role of the positive emotional attractor in vision and shared vision [article]
• Gratitude Revealed Video Gallery [link]
Self-Awareness Flipped Learning Activities
• A colleague of mine, Jonathan Fields, wrote a book titled, "How to Live A Good Life". In one of his chapters (Know What Matters), he provides a set of steps to help identify what you value most, and then how to make decisions that are in line with your values. The ability is a necessary skill for an effective leaders. In this activity, you are invited to read Jonathan's chapter, follow the four steps found at the end of the chapter, and then see if you are able to begin "saying yes to those thing that genuinely matter most to you."
• Looking to change something about you, your life, your work? Try the WOOP method developed and researched by Oettingen and colleagues. Click here to learn more or here to read another chapter by Jonathan Fields about, and here to access and try out the free WOOP app. Then watch to see if it helps "turn down the shark music".
• Want to explore tools and tips for helping children identify and build their character strengths? Check out the Character Lab.
Handouts (print or keep in digital format)
• Essence Glossary - Printable [pdf]
• Self-Assessment Key - Printable [pdf]
• Self-Assessment At-A-Glance - Printable [pdf]
• Superpowers Categories - Printable [pdf]
• Mindful Inquires Sampler Pack - Digital only [pdf]
• Emotional Vocabulary Words - Printable [pdf]
Self-Regulation Flipped Learning Activities
• Looking to set clearer boundaries in this social age? Read this blog on how setting policies can help improve your self-regulation skills. Feel free to write one or more personal/professional policies, and then bring them with you to the conference if you would like to share with others.
• Find yourself reacting more often than responding with grace? Give the HeartMath Quick Coherence Technique® a try.
Situational Awareness Flipped Learning Activities
• Take time to reflect (aka, become more mindful and aware) about things that go unnoticed and/or where you can begin to remove what some call "cognitive blinders".
• What can you begin to notice that you don't tend to notice? Perhaps during your daily commute...
• Think something you haven't thought before. Try to think something new each day.
• What does it feel like to "feel calm"? How do you create calm for others?
• Listen to this podcast interview with Jonathan Fields (starts around 9:15) on mindfulness [audio]. What strikes you about his journey? What is a key take away for you?
Spirituality Flipped Learning Activities
• Examine the Tree of Contemplative Practices [link]. Which do you engage in routinely? Are there particular branches that resonate with you? How do you encourage these practices in others?
• Read this blog and answer Julian's questions about who you would follow.
Looking to continue learning together?
Check out a few of my most popular courses and programs
that promote critical thinking, creativity, and practical application.
ECE Solutionary Membership
Trustworthy solutions for dealing with challenging behaviors, writing IEPs, teaching self-regulation, and much more! All the tips and techniques are designed for you to put into practice immediately.
Strengthen your ability to write PLAAFPs and write meaningful IEP goals. Learn-at your own pace with modules that include video, audio, and downloadable files. Click here for a free lesson.
Master Class with Dr. KPF
A Deep Dive Master Class is a program that gives you a game plan for getting to a real change in practice. You will gain clarity and become equipped to move beyond current barriers and limitations.