In this episode, I talk to Dr. Shauna Tominey about her book, Creating Compassionate Kids: Essential Conversations to Have with Young Children.
The main purpose of her book is to support adults to build compassion and understanding through the conversations we have with children.
What You Will Learn
- How to model compassion by letting children know they are loved no matter who they are or what they experience
- How to support children in becoming self-aware, while also understanding differences among people and families
- How to build resilience in children by discussing how stress or tragedy can make us stronger
- How to help children use their recognition of being loved, their self-awareness, understanding of others, and personal resilience to demonstrate compassion for others
We also talk about the progression of inclusion, how to start these critical conversations from birth, how compassion addresses bullying, how to use her book in professional development, and the importance of explaining what you are doing and why.
Click here to download the transcript for Podcast 32.
Click here to download Dr. Tominey’s “Conversation Strategies”.
- Creating Compassionate Kids: Essential Conversations to Have with Young Children
- Five Ways to Talk with your Kids so they Feel Loved
- Practicing Emotional Intelligence handout
- Shauna Tominey’s Creating Compassionate Kids Facebook page
- Shauna Tominey Talks at Google
- Five Ways to Nurture Compassion in Kids
- Differences Do Matter: Why Talking about them Helps us Raise Compassionate Kids